Free or Reduced-Price Meal Program

  • Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price school meals. To apply, complete the Application for Educational Benefits following the instructions. A new application must be submitted each year. At public schools, your application also helps the school qualify for education funds and discounts.

    State funds help to pay for reduced-price school meals, so all students who are approved for either free or reduced-price school meals will receive school meals at no charge. State funds also help to pay for breakfasts for kindergarten students, so all participating kindergarten students receive breakfasts at no charge.

    Please provide the information requested about children’s racial identity and ethnicity, which helps to ensure we are fully serving our community. This information is not required for approval of school meal benefits. 


    You can do this 3 ways:

    1. Parent Portal (must use a computer)

    -Log in to your Parent Portal

    -Go to "More" on the menu

    -Select Meal Benefits

    -Complete the application

    2. Complete the Electronic Application

    - Complete the Electronic Meal Benefit Application

    - Wait for your verification email and click the link to verify your email address. 

    -Once we receive your application, you will get an "approved" email. This is saying we have approved your electronic form to go into processing, not that your application has been approved for free and reduced lunch.

    -Once processed, you will receive an approval or denial letter in the mail.

    3. Paper application

    -Print the Application for Educational Benefits, complete it, and return it to the school.

    -Contact the Food Service Department to receive a paper application. 

    Return your completed application to:

    Maple River Schools
    Attn: Heather Ehlke
    PO Box 515
    Mapleton MN 56065

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can get free school meals?

  • I get WIC or Medical Assistance. Can my children get free school meals?

  • Who should I include as household members?

  • May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S.citizen?

  • What if my income is not always the same?

  • Will the income information or case number I give be checked?

  • How will the information be kept?

  • If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Contact Us

  • Heather Ehlke

    Food Service Director

    Phone: 507-524-3918, ext 4282